Sunday, November 29, 2020

What Does Christmas Mean To You?

Today is the first Sunday in Advent.

In the past I have started my Christmas Planner about this time as I don't like to be hassled by Christmas in a material way before the season sort of begins. I follow my planning so all the things in preparation get done and I don't forget anything. Following my plan also helps me to use the time of Advent as being all part of Christmas rather than just one day. I also have birthdays into November so I am still thinking of them.

However this year has been different...

"Tell me about it", I hear you say.

Who would have thought this time last year when we heard reports of a virus in China that the world would be changed in 2020.

In fact thinking of that, who knows what anything holds for us in the future.

Now don't get me wrong I am not putting a damper on Christmas or the new year or life in general ... but its made me think, "How do we use all this for good?"

As we take actions to keep ourselves and those around us safe; the scientists search for a safe reliable vaccine; we learn to live in this 'new' way of life - we indeed have to look at Christmas in a different way.

How do we do that, when we are so used to the way we have celebrated this time of the year and restrictions pose obstacles we don't like? (especially in other parts of the world)

Or maybe the whole world situation creates the way we go about this time different or with a sense of dread as to what might happen before we even get to the 25th of December.

So,

What Does Christmas Mean To You?

It's a question to ask yourself as we go into the season to help us cope and put into place the things that really matter. 

When you stop and ask yourself that question I would suggest you really think about it.

Is it time with family?

Is it food and drink, and plenty of it?

Is it a holiday away from all the hassle?

Is it relatives that you really dread being with!?

Is it a time of expense that you hate?

For me it is some of those but it is mainly a time as a Christian that I celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Yes we have food, there are decorations to put up and enjoy, we try to be with family and have times with friends, we exchange presents the I have saved for during the year, but I also focus on the nativity and what the meaning of the birth of Christ means to me.

I have an array of Nativity scenes I set up around other Christmas decorations. My tree is filled with angles to remind us of the host of angels who announced the good news of Jesus' birth to a group of humble shepherds.

Luke 2:8-16

8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.

What does Christmas mean to you?

This year the Hope Project are encouraging churches and people to put Christ back into Christmas.

Too many cards, treats and advertising media are removing the word Christ and either using an "X" or just calling it 'holiday' items. As a Christian for me Christmas is celebrating the birth of Jesus my saviour and although people may argue that it is a pagan festival or that I shouldn't push my views onto others, the point I make is it is a time for my family and I to celebrate and we will do it the way that means the most to us.

God says in His Word, the Bible

Deuteronomy 4:9 Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.

Leviticus 23:2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘These are my appointed festivals, the appointed festivals of the Lord, which you are to proclaim as sacred assemblies 

Now I know that these scriptures are actually meaning events in the Old Testament, which are part of the Jewish traditions, but God wants us to remember Him and to pass what we know onto others, and in celebrating Christmas for its real meaning we are doing just that.

I hope and pray that this Christmas as we adapt to what these times have caused us to now do, that you seek out the true meaning of Christmas.


Whatever your answer for the question this post asks, you need to make it what you want.

If you wish to follow my Christmas Plan it starts here.


All Scripture is taken from the New International Version


No comments :

Post a Comment