Thursday, April 14, 2011

Zucchini Pickle

If I have let my zucchini’s get too big I make this pickle. I have made this for a few years and I can sort of add or substitute a few ingredients. The trick to a ‘pretty’ pickle is to have colour so I used red onions as I only had one red pepper.
I love this pickle on toast with melted cheese. (Grill or microwave the toast) I also have it in a salad sandwich instead of mayonnaise for flavour.
It is from Alison Holst’s “The Ultimate Collection” cookbook.
I have given all my cherubs this cook book and her big red cookbook, "The Best of Alison Holst "

Zucchini Pickle

1 kg zucchini
750 gr onions
¼ cup salt
2 red peppers
4 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
2 tsp celery seeds
1 ½ tsp turmeric
2 cups white or cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Cornflour

Cut the zucchini and onions into small chunks then process small amounts at a time to about corn size. Be careful not to pulp it. If you don’t have a food processor grate the vegetables.
Place in a large bowl and mix with the salt.
Chop the peppers finely and mix in. Give them all a good stir and leave in the brine for half an hour.
Add the water and give a good stir.
Drain through a coarse sieve and discard the liquid.
Place all the drained vegetables in a large heavy bottomed or preserving pan and add the sugar, seeds, turmeric and vinegar.
Bring to the boil, and simmer for 30 minutes stirring often.
Mix the cornflour to a paste with 2-3 Tblsp of cold water and stir into pickle.
Cook a further 5 minutes, stirring.
Pour into clean, heated jars and seal with boiled metal lids. If you use plastic screw-on lids the jars must be refidgerated as with any opened jars.

No comments :

Post a Comment