Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Walking by Faith



Over the last week or so we have been shaken by someones choices that could have broken the family apart. Suffice to say, but not going into to the details here at the moment, with God we will come out victorious. As I said on my facebook status the other day, “The best part of a storm is coming out the other side.”

I have struggled, cried, been angry, shocked and devastated but I also cried out to God and He has shown me the way.

I have known all along what God’s word has said throughout this. I also know that it tends to go against the worlds views and actions in this ‘me’ centred time, but the world’s way actually seemed a too-hard-a-road-to-travel on, knowing that with God I was going to be all right. I know He will never leave me nor forsake me (Joshua 1:5) but I wanted to walk in His blessings. Once I had made that decision I was in a sort of bubble and everything was out of my hands.

I was actually handing it over to God, not taking it back and not even allowing myself to think past the moment I was in each time of the day, so didn’t worry about the future. I thought about it sometimes but it didn’t seem to register in my mind that I had to worry so I didn’t. For those who know me and my past know that this in itself is quite a step forward for me.

On Sunday I was reading the Word For Today and I know I should not be amazed at God’s timing, but I still am because it reassures me time and time again that He knows all things.

The verse for this meditation was from Psalm 32 but I read all of it and even that was what I needed to hear. (see below for the whole chapter or follow this link)

Paul writes, '...I go... not knowing the things that will happen to me... except that the Holy Spirit testifies... saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me...' (Acts 20:22-24 NKJV).
It's only human to want to know where you're going and what you're getting into. But God will inform you on a 'need to know' basis. Like Abraham, when you follow Him, you do it 'not knowing' where the Lord leads, but believing what He promised, confident that no matter how He does it nor how long it takes, He will keep His word to you (Hebrews 11:8). Being in God's will doesn't exempt you from problems. God doesn't promise a carpet on the race track or a bed of roses on the battlefield. But you can be '...confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion...' (Philippians 1:6 NIV).
Jon Walker says, 'God knows every step of the journey... the blessings and dangers... where you've been... where you're going, and... the best path to take... He never intended you to figure out the steps without Him. How you get on mission and succeed... are God's responsibilities. Your responsibility is to seek His guidance and obey His instructions. He said, "I will instruct you... in the way you should go... and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8 NIV). Your job is to trust Him with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. His job is to set your path straight (Proverbs 3:5-6). There's no requirement for you to figure it all out.'

And in the midst of it all I felt God also say “Each days has a blessing, you just have to find it.”

Psalm 32 (New International Version 1984)

1 Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the man whose sin the LORD does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit.
3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
Selah
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD”— and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Selah
6 Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him.
7 You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Selah
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD’s unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.
11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!

1 comment :

  1. I don't know the situation. But what I do know is that when we surrender our issues to God, He is faithful to give us Peace from our burdens. I think it is one of the hardest things I have ever had to learn to do. I just pray "Lord I surrender this to You" It is so amazing the result!!! I will be praying for your family. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete