Sunday, May 6, 2018

Friday - Catch Up

By Friday I am a bit over all this racing around getting things done and most of the time I am thinking "Yeay the end of the week." However it also means a day of catching up and getting things done.

It's rubbish day for us and every second Friday the recycling is collected as well. We are lucky in that we can burn all our paper rubbish either inside in the winter time or outside in the incinerate. We also burn all our tree trimmings and weeds that we don't want to compost. All our food scraps either go to our hens or into the compost bins as well as any grass clippings or ash from both fires. We recycle our plastic, paper that doesn't get burned, tins, aluminium and glass. Any clothes or items we don't want either get re-purposed, or if in good condition  given to someone or go to op shops. So come rubbish days we only put out the recycling bins every second week and a rubbish bag about once every two months!


So off to work like any other day, but Fridays are busy. There is the newsletter to finish and print off along with the "Whats on" window notice. Kitchen supplies need restocking and things that haven't been finished during the week need completing for Sunday.

Hoping no-one calls with other urgent needs I sometimes manage to get everything done by 12 mid-day but most Fridays I can be there well into the afternoon.

I do enjoy my work and feel like I have had a good week when I leave with my desk clear and know there is nothing waiting for me to finish sorting on Monday as there will be a new amount of tasks by then.

Once back home I will get on with any basic housework (washing, dishes - that sort of thing and give the living areas a quick vacuum just to make it look tidy for the weekend.

I will also check to see if there are any tasks that really need to be done, that I either didn't get done on the day during the week that they are rostered on to do, or if they really don't need to be done. I also attend to anything I may be procrastinating about.
You know, making dentist appointments or paying a bill; making a phone call about something or doing a task that just has to be done but you would rather it just went away on its own accord!

Starting the weekend with those little things annoyingly coming to your mind all the time, because you know they have to be done, but you have put them off - again - does not make for a restful and fun weekend.

And nine times out of ten once they are done you wonder why you kept putting it off in the first place! Then you declare that you will never let that demand fester away in you again, and with all good intentions you believe you wont let it, but before you know it - there it is again. If you have started down that road of 'good intentions' and don't really put anything in place to help you be honest and stick to what you want, you end up digging yourself into a slippery hole of  self loathing.

So for me I make Fridays my Catch Up Day so I break the habit!

This quote from scripture may not be about what I have talked about, but it certainly says to get on and sort things out and don't let what you may have said or allowed to happen come back and "bite you" so to speak!

Proverbs 6 - Warnings Against Folly
1 My son, if you have put up security for your neighbor,
    if you have shaken hands in pledge for a stranger,
2 you have been trapped by what you said,
    ensnared by the words of your mouth.
3 So do this, my son, to free yourself,
    since you have fallen into your neighbor’s hands:
Go—to the point of exhaustion—
    and give your neighbor no rest!
4 Allow no sleep to your eyes,
    no slumber to your eyelids.
5 Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter,
    like a bird from the snare of the fowler.

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

New International Version 


No comments :

Post a Comment