Thursday, October 6, 2011

Orange Honey Muffins

We have been given a 4 litre container of honey and so although it keeps and Katrina and I are having it on toast and crumpets I am finding all my recipes to use it in.

This is from Alison Holst's Marvelous Muffins book with a adjustment from me

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
grated rind of two oranges
75 gms butter
1/4 cup of honey
1 egg
3/4 orange juice/milk

Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the sugar and grated orange rind.
Mix thoroughly.
Melt butter and honey together. Don't over melt it. I remove this from the heat before all the butter has melted and let it finish melting in the heat of the honey. This allows it to cool a little before I add the egg.
Beat in the egg.
Measure the juice and with out mixing top up the amount with milk.
I use about 1/2 cup orange juice from the oranges and 1/4 milk. You could make it up with orange juice from a bottle if you wanted.
Add the juice to the melted liquids and fold into the muffins. (about 10 folds) then add the milk and fold about 4 more times, (some flour will still be unmixed)
Fill 12 well greased mediuim muffin tins and bake at 200°C for 10-12 mins, or until the centres
spring back when pressed.

These are best served warm.

No comments :

Post a Comment