Sunday, February 3, 2013

Walking the Walk and Talking the Talk

I was asked to preach again this week and I wasn't sure what to say or use until I saw a youtube clip. I followed on from what one of our elders brought the week before and used some of the scripture for the day. He spoke about us being bricks and how we can build a strong wall (the Church) by being connected with one another and getting to know each other more.
We all need to be strong for those who are weakened by having chips or being charred from events in our lives. We can’t be strong on our own – we need the Holy Spirit – the mortar around each of us joining us together.

Authentic relationships - What works? What doesn’t? What can we do differently?
Perfection is not required, but loving kindness is.
We need to get to know those around us.
To be aware of who is beside you.
We must learn to look the other person in the eye.
What can you do differently by focusing on the other person, not yourself?
Give your whole mind for a few minutes.
Sit “alongside”.
Think “I am here for you and you are worth it.”
What is in the heart is greater than what we write on the page.
How do we get to the heart?
An example we can follow from scripture - Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”) 
Be still beside the person and know them. Strive to see the face of Christ in your neighbour “I’m holding you in my mind because my eyes are on you so our minds are connected”
Love allows understanding and understanding is important.

In 1 Corinthians 13 verses 1-13 think of changing the word 'love' to 'Holy Spirit'
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 
13 1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.  
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 

This is the youtube clip I had seen.
 Noah and the Whale, "Give a Little Love"




If you give a little love … You can get a little love of your own.
Mathew 22:39  ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'

Mathew 22: 34 – 40
The Greatest Commandment 
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” We will love everyone according to who they are.
We embrace them as full - God says His work is perfect.

We will love everyone according to who they are.
We embrace them as full - God says His work is perfect

Genesis 1: 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good

Self-reflection, self-knowledge allows us to reach out, recognise one another’s needs.
There is a relational poverty in the modern world – television, computer, cell phones, video gaming.
People’s physical and mental illness is always better when they are connected with people.
Hanging around with those who love you makes you happy. If you are happy – you will make others happy.
Early damage can destroy a life but if there is someone to nurture all will be well.

Important things to remember
 • Read the clues
 • Be aware of the intimacy barrier and don’t cross it.
 • Attentive listening
 • “your story not mine”
 • Remember culture
 • “you matter.” i.e. I am here for you and you are worth it
 • Give the look of love.

We can’t know the heart secrets of another but we can attempt to know our own and so wonder and understand the heart secrets of another.
We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that something deep inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust and sacred to our touch 
The Holy Spirit entering into our lives reveals all of these - He is love.

I challenged us all to get close to one another and build relationships
finishing with...


The only person who likes a change
is a baby with a wet nappy!

Sermon Fiona Van Lent 3/2/13
 All scripture is taken from New International Version 1984

No comments :

Post a Comment