Saturday, July 27, 2013

Playdough


I was helping look after Jacob after the wonderful arrival of Natalie our fifth grandchild and we decided to make play dough, something I have done for our own children as they grew up.

I didn't have my recipe with me but I knew the ingredients I used, just not quite the quantities. So a web search soon found an assortment of recipes for both uncooked and the cooked version I make.

So after going shopping with Jacob twice for more salt and some cream of tartar - these took quite a while as Jacob loves to do all this himself - I made up the dough; blue as it's his favourite colour.

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup cooking salt
  • 1 tbs of cooking oil
  • 1 tbs of cream of tartar
  • food colouring

Place all ingredients in a pot and stir over a low heat until the mixture comes away from the sides.
Tip out and kneed, and when cooled enough allow the children to play.

I just find it so therapeutic to kneed the warm dough. When I mentioned it to the young lady at the counter when we were buying the salt, she said "Aw now I want to go home and make play dough!" It had obviously triggered something from her childhood as well.

When I got home and checked my recipe I saw that it only uses 2 tsp of cream of tartar and I know both recipes work so you could choose.

As you can see below Jacob (2 years 4 months) just loves playing with it.






No comments :

Post a Comment