Sunday, June 20, 2010

Called to be Holy

At church this morning our vicar preached from

Galatians 2:15-16
 15"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' 16know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. 

 He said we should not live by keeping the 'laws' as we will always break them. We should live under the anointing of God, the receiving of the Holy Spirit, so we are justified by God's grace. He went on to say that he admitted he had got it "wrong" when he put a 'law' into place that if someone was sinning continually they should not be part of our worship team. He said he was wrong to say if they break the law they should be 'ousted'.

He then challenged us not to take what any one person says as being correct not matter who it was, even him. It was like he challenged us to disagree.

 I do agree that as a Christian I am set free from the law by God's grace but I had felt uneasy with the first part of his sermon as I believe that the music team who lead the congregation into a time of worship should be Holy as God is Holy.

Leviticus 20:7 " 'Consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am the LORD your God.

The tribe of Levi, the Levities were chosen to be holy and were the ones to lead the people in worship.
Deuteronomy 10:8 At that time the LORD set apart the tribe of Levi to carry the ark of the covenant of the LORD, to stand before the LORD to minister and to pronounce blessings in his name, as they still do today.
1 Chronicles 9:33 Those who were musicians, heads of Levite families, stayed in the rooms of the temple and were exempt from other duties because they were responsible for the work day and night.

In 1 Chronicles 15 we read how David appointed Levites as musicians.

And in 1 Chronicles 25:6 All these men were under the supervision of their fathers for the music of the temple of the LORD, with cymbals, lyres and harps, for the ministry at the house of God. Asaph, Jeduthun and Heman were under the supervision of the king

As I am a musician I felt that to lead in worship I am to keep myself holy - separate - and so living in a way that is pleasing to God. This is not something I can do on my own. I need Gods forgiveness and enabling.
And then I kept getting the words to a song we sing.

Song Lyrics
I enter the holy of holies.
I enter through the blood of the lamb.
I enter to worship you only.
I enter to honor I am.

Lord, I worship you.
I worship you.
Repeat.

For your name is holy....holy....Lord.

And then the worship leader for today sung it and it had not been on the list of songs he had already chosen for the day as I had loaded them on to a power point presentation on Thursday.
I felt God was telling me that what I was thinking was what He wanted from me.

"For Your Name Is Holy" by Shalom's Praise & Dance Team

No comments :

Post a Comment