Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Blind Side


I went to the movies the other day with two friends from church. We went to The Blind Side.

The story of Michael Oher, a homeless and traumatized boy who became an All American football player and first round NFL draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family.

It is a true story and I found I had tears on a few occasions. The realisation that there is potential in every-bodies lives if only they are given the opportunity, is something we can all choose to bring into being or reject.

Leigh Anne Tuohy sees Michael Oher, a homeless African-American youngster from a broken home out in the cold one winter night. He goes to her children's school so she knows a little about him. She takes him home for the night. In time they not only provide him with a loving home, but hire a tutor to help him improve his grades to the point where he would qualify for an NCAA Division I athletic scholarship.

This a great movie with Christian principles and something families could watch together.

For me it cemented attitudes I had to change after going to a workshop on family violence last week. I was challenged not to label people just by their actions or appearances which I think we all so easily do.
When we look at a person who doesn't fit our ideal mould why do we do so and what is it that we are labelling them with?
I know for me this is something I do and so not only block what God sees in them but my attitude confirms their thoughts that I am thinking this and so they feel even more worthless. I also realise that changing this attitude will mean a cost to me. But if God is asking me to step out for Him I know he will provide.

Genesis 50:20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.

Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

I feel this is a journey God is taking me on and I feel challenged but a little uncomfortable.
No I feel very uncomfortable as to what is in store for me next. But I want to grow so I will step out.

All scripture from (New International Version)

2 comments :

  1. When God stretches us to grow us it is always uncomfortable. Keep listening to His guidance. This movie was great. I loved it. In america I was surprised that it had such bold Christian tones and yet was wildly popular here. It was a Big surprise to me. Now I need to get it for my husband to watch he will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey its the learning to know his voice.

    ReplyDelete