Friday, September 3, 2010

You Just Need to Know "God Knows"

You never do know the big picture.
Yesterday morning I prayed the Jabez Prayer. I haven’t in a long time and wasn’t sure why I felt the urge to do so.

The Jabez Prayer is taken from a piece of scripture from the Bible.

1 Chronicles 4:9-10
9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.

The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson
This is a book I have read a couple of times and been so inspired by it I wonder why I don't pray the prayer everyday.

I have made my own version of the prayer by using words from lots of different Bible translations and in doing so, have created and know off by heart this prayer:

Oh that you would wonderfully bless me Lord
By giving me much land, 
widening my coast and territory 
and helping me in my work.
May you hand be upon me 
in all that I do 
so that I will be kept safe 
from harm, disaster or anything evil,
and it would not cause grief.

What a busy day I had with my normal work to do and administering a big funeral, the second in less than a week. People today especially, were thanking me and saying what a good job I did.
It was like the wonderfully bless me Lord and doing so in the much land, 
widening my coast and territory"
I hope it was my witness in God that people saw as I try to lighten the load for others in grief.

Later in the afternoon I went into town to pick up Katrina from rehearsals at college.
On the way I wanted to post some mail.
I parked the car, after pulling into the last park, behind a 4WD vehicle.
Little did I know he hadn’t finish parking and as I was just going to leave the car running, run around the front and post the mail in the post box, then back in the car to meet Katrina.
It would have taken less than a minute.
Before I even got out of the car the 4WD quickly reversed right back into me.
The bonnet and part to the bumper are dented.
But on the way home (after exchanging contacts etc) I was struggling with why this had happened to me and then I realised if I had got out of the car a few seconds earlier I would have been between the two vehicles and been crushed .
But I remembered God knew and I had prayed that His "hand be upon me in all that I do"
I had asked him in the morning and He answered then... I was "kept safe from harm"
It did not matter as to why it happened just that God knew.

The Greater Picture :
Are you all right ? I might have missed a piece
(Sorry this is a bit small.)
...and you question God -'why me?'..
always look at the bigger picture....

A day without the Lord- Is a day wasted.


All scripture is form the (New International Version)

1 comment :