Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mumsey’s Italian Pizza

One of the bonus’s of having children is that when they grow up they will probably marry and you will then have more (well in-laws but they will still be children).
And what is really special is when they in turn treat you like parents. Out daughter Jennifer’s, husband rung me to ask for my pizza base recipe. Unfortunately I don’t use a recipe so I gave him instructions as best I could from memory. I have since made one of my pizza’s taking note of the quantity so no-one else has to guess how I make it and realize I gave him wrong amounts.
(Sorry Jason)

Mumsey’s Italian Pizza

1 ½ cups flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Herb Stock powder
20gr butter
½ cup milk

Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
Mix flour, baking powder and herb stock in a bowl.
Melt the butter and milk, and warm so the butter is melted.
I do this in the microwave. I heat the butter until it is just about melted, add the milk and reheat until the butter has melted completely.
Pour into flour mixture and stir until just mixed and even a bit flaky
Tip out onto a floured surface and mould together then roll out to fit a 30cm pizza base/tray
Try not to over work the dough.
Roll left over bits of dough into a long strip and twist around the edge to from a side edge.

Filling:
1 x 420-430gr can of spaghetti
1 x 227gr (approx) of pineapple chunks in natural juice
1 onion sliced into thin rings
150gr cheese – grated (I use Edam)
50gr ham – chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley (use about half if you are using dry)
¼ tsp mushroom stock powder.

Spread spaghetti (this is the Italian bit)over base making sure the sauce covers all the dough – the spaghetti won’t quite.
Drain the pineapple lumps. (cooks privilege – drink the juice!) Place pieces over spaghetti evenly.
Scatter onion rings around and then top with the grated cheese.
Sprinkle ham over evenly then garnish with parsley and mushroom stock powder.

Bake just above the centre of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the topping is cooked and the edges just start to turn golden.

1 comment :

  1. I might try the base recipe it sounds quick and easy but I don't know if I am brave enough to try spaghetti on a pizza!

    ReplyDelete