Friday, August 13, 2010

Recycle

Recycling - I know its something you either hate or love to do.
In our house we recycle all we can. Harry will actually keep some rubbish "Because it just might come in handy one day" and "If I throw it out now I know I will want to use it next week". Well that is fine, he can just keep it in his double garage workshop that is so fill of "stuff" we can't park the cars in it!!

Sustainability NZ states

Rubbish
Up to two-thirds of household rubbish can be reduced, reused or recycled. Reducing rubbish lowers carbon emissions, saves energy and resources, and cuts your rubbish disposal costs.

Recycle
Each month, New Zealanders dispose of enough rubbish to fill a rugby field 30 stories high. A lot of this could be recycled instead of going to landfill.

As for our household rubbish, we have eliminated our rubbish by more than two thirds.

How do I know?
Our roadside rubbish collection is once a week. Every second week there is also a roadside recycle collection.
I had forgotten to put the recycled items out last fortnight so this fortnight there was a months worth.
I also only put out a rubbish bag once a month. This was today's.

How do I do that?
With winter we have our fire going all the time so I burn a lot of paper and cardboard waste from daily living.

We put out for recycling;
Glass bottles
Drink cans and empty tins
Newspapers, junk mail and cardboard
Plastic bottles, bags and containers




















No food is disposed of in the rubbish as I have said in Food Wastage .
I actually find it a challenge to reduce the rubbish and we also give away items that can be reused by someone else.

Our recycling is picked up by The South Waikato Achievement Trust so I feel we are helping these people also.
They have a drop off spot in Tirau too that has been painted and is a welcomed place to leave you recycles if you don't have room for them at home. I drop the bags of newspapers etc from work there on my way home when they need disposing of.

I know that I am not going to "safe the world" but I feel comfortable that I am at least doing my bit for the world God created for us to use not abuse.

Genesis 1
The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth....
9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good....
31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

Genesis 2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

All Scripture is from (New International Version)

1 comment :

  1. You're a woman after my own heart Fiona. I recycle as much as I can :)

    ReplyDelete